Saturday, July 14, 2007

It only takes time and sweat to make it to the top

Unfortunately, my international travel plans are temporarily on hold. But that doesn't mean that adventure cannot be found in my own backyard. Last week when H invited me to go hiking I was ready. I recharged my camera battery, laced up my sneakers, filled my backpack with several liters of water and set off like a pack mule. Our destination was the top of Koko Head Crater.

The sun played hide-n-seek behind the clouds, a light breeze occasionally succeeded at lifting the humidity, and the near-by shooting range echoed like the threat of a faceless battlefield. We basted ourselves in sunscreen and followed other hikers to the trail head. I wasn't intimidated until I stood at the bottom and looked straight up.

The trail is made up of an abandoned train track that climbs straight up the southern side of the crater. The wooden tracks form steps to the top. I half expected a roller coaster car race down and flatten us.

A few years ago, I gave up the stairmaster and quickly found that the train track trail showed no mercy. With frequent photo and water stops we eventually reached the bridge a little over half way up the hill. This was by far the worst part of the trail. An incline, no hand rails, and a few missing tracks made the trip up an effort in consentration and balance. On the trip down my fear of heights got the better of me and I crawled down like a crab. It was a great pec and tricep workout.

Once we finally reached the top we were congratulated by a strong wind and multiple views from Diamond Head and Waikiki to Hanauma Bay, and from Hanauma Bay to Makapu'u. We explored the old graffiti-covered bunkers at the top, took more triumphant panorama backdrop pictures, and refueled for the hike back down.


No comments: