Friday, March 28, 2008

Fish Girl and Honu the Second

I've lived in Hawai'i for nearly four years now. Despite my love for the beach and my occasional snorkeling adventures, I've come across relatively few sea turtles (or honu as they are called in Hawaiian). In fact, up until two days ago I'd only seen one.


I feel an affinity with animals that seem to lack rippling gracefulness and seem to plod through life awkwardly. Knowing I'm not the only creature on this planet who is a little less than refined and sophisticated helps a little. In short, I adore sea turtles. When at the beach I secretly hope that one will come over with that look that says, 'yup, I understand how you feel, we are kindred spirits.' But instead, I bob up and down in the water in a sea of mounting melancholy, surrounded only by the ocean's glamorous denizens.


On my first encounter with a turtle I was reminded that they are just animals, not kindred spirits. For this one begged me to keep my distance. When I approached Honu the First he began to take an interest in me a flipped his way toward me. Cool, should have been my first thought. But the massive creature seemed peeved at the intrusion into his morning dance in the sunlight. As best I could I backed off to watch him from further away.


Another opportunity to find turtles to commune with presented itself when J. came to visit. He wanted to go to the beach where all the turtles go (apparently there is one and I've missed it). But we had just met and I wasn't letting him take me anywhere yet. So my next major chance to find these lovable swimming rock-like animals drifted away when I made an excuse to leave.


Finally, Honu the Second and I met two days ago. It took a trip to another island and just 20 minutes of snorkeling before I discerned his outline in the distance. He was floating back and forth in the surge - flippers outstretched, like he was enjoying the ride. At that moment I realized that sea turtles aren't as gawky as I imagined. Rocking in murky water Honu the Second appeared to dance with the rays of sunlight piercing through the water. Wanting to swim closer and play with him, I figured it was best to leave him be lest he take to chasing me as Honu the first did. So I floated there a while watching Honu enjoy life, wishing I enjoyed mine just a bit more.

No comments: