Wednesday, October 1, 2008

An unadventure

Somehow I decided to make a major change. So I left my home of four years and school to move back to Oregon for no reason in particular except that it is closer to my family. It is a struggle to make people understand why I would choose to leave and pick some other place to live. But I'm happier here. Well, I'll miss those great hikes back in Hawaii, but I'm sure I can find something to do here too. Somehow people seem to think that smart people have to achieve things, and somehow I was lumped into that category. So I've been trying to fit into that mold, but really I do not want to argue about things that most people cannot understand. I don't want to be committed to a career or a course of education that leaves no time for anything else. If it comes down to a choice, academia loses. When I started in academia it was for something other than the to impress other academics; but I feel like there is a message that only academics matter.

So now that that decision has been made and there is time for life, what does one do to fill the time to make it more meaningful? So far, most have my time has been dedicated to arranging a living space, as well as getting financial institutions and the government to recognize me as an Oregonian. With the new restrictions it can be downright maddening. No proof of residency, no bank account. No proof of residency, no driver license, no car titling, no car registration. With too many bills paid online this could have been a maddening circle of no evidence. At least it finally all did come together in time to register to vote.

So now things are winding down and this little fish needs to figure how how best to get about exploring her new fish bowl and making new fish friends.

No comments: