Saturday, August 15, 2009

McDowell Creek Falls

This hike was quite probably too short to count toward my goal of 33 hikes within the next 13 months (only 1.7 miles according to the book). Nevertheless, I found it quite enjoyable to wander through the woods and along a stream searching for these three waterfalls. My goal was actually quite far removed from hiking, it was just a bonus. I wanted some good material to play around with using Microsoft ICE program for photo stitching. Last weekend when I hiked Coffin Mountain I took single shot panoramic photos. As I reviewed them at home, it occurred to me that by now someone must have created a program to take those lovely, but limited, shots and create a giant panorama. Unfortunately, I hadn't done any research on the matter and so I was limited in what I could piece together. This time I went out to get some more hands on experience. Waterfalls, especially tall ones, are difficult to do justice with my tiny Cannon Power Shot, so it all fit together nicely.


Lower McDowell Creek Falls...


Royal Terrace Falls...

Because of the lighting the straight on series of pictures came out looking obviously fake when put together. This side shot looks a bit better.



















Majestic Falls...

And finally, one of the trail. I missed part of the upper sequence so I had to crop it narrowly.

All of these photos were stitched together using Microsoft ICE.

I found directions and information for this hike in William L. Sullivan's 100 Hikes in the Central Oregon Cascades (3rd ed.)

No comments: