Sunday, August 2, 2009

Milestones - beginning the 33 hikes

In a few short weeks my 33rd birthday will be upon me. At this point, I feel the need for milestones. However, my life has not gone down the most traditional path either careerwise or familywise. I have accomplished a myriad of other things in my life, far less socially quantifiable, better saved for conversational anecdotes than measuring sticks. Yet, I want something that I can actively do and to point to and say this is something I accomplished for me. Family and work depend on other people. And there's just no knowing when those stars will align.

Recently I've felt myself racing down a highway blindfolded knowing that there's a crash comming on. Maybe this is my midlife crisis, or one-third life crisis. Others might buy a car I could never afford, travel to far off places, destructively hurt those around them, or train for a first time marathon. Most of that does not intrests me, and the travel I cannot afford. The thought of running through a city in throng of humanity has no appeal. If I choose to do something, it should be uniquely me.

I most enjoy the fragrance of the countryside, the combined smells of grasses and trees; and the solitude of being away from the crowd, though not necessarily alone. I love hiking, being outdoors, watching butterflies flutter about and rabbits scope me out, photographing landscapes and wildflowers, and getting a little bit of dirt on me. It only makes sense to incorporate this more into my life.

So this is it. Over the next 13 months, to celebrate 33 years of life I will attempt to go on 33 hikes, at a minimum of 3 miles round trip, before my 34th birthday. To avoid hiking the same route 33 times the they must be different trails, or significantly different portions of connecting and intersecting trails. Furthermore, trails I have already hiked are off limits, unless again there is a significantly new portion involved. My camera and GPS will travel with me to document the route. Friends are always welcome to join me, though I realize that I may well end up doing this mostly by myself.

Keep an eye out for 33 new adventures.

No comments: